We had certainly hoped and believed that, for this update, we would have much better news to share. After very positive yield testing and one perfect production re-boot shipment, where we were able to fulfill a large number of pledges, we believed that all of our tooling troubles were behind us, and that we could begin shipping at full speed. That, however, turned out not to be true. Our overmolder has now told us that they are not able to produce the quality we need with the current tooling, even though they thought this tool in its current state was going to work. More modifications need to be made or, possibly a new tool.
Needless to say, we are very frustrated, not just with the added cost of tooling, but with the various unexpected delays that have been caused. We definitely hear and understand your concerns with the delays, and please know we feel the same way. We do want to emphasize that overmolding with optically clear silicone is a much more difficult process than using plastic, and there are only a handful of shops in the US that are willing to do it. Silicone is able to leak into the tightest of spaces (a few thousandths of an inch) and if tooling is off by even the smallest amount, it takes time to fix.
We are in talks with another shop about taking over the overmolding. They are consulting with us and our situation right now and reviewing our current tool. Hindsight is 20-20 and we wish we had done this sooner with the second shop. We made the mistake of continuing to trust a company that was not fulfilling their promises, in the hopes that each time they made a new promise, it would result in a faster delivery for all of you. That has not been the case and we apologize for that. If it is determined by this new shop that our current tool is unable to be modified, we will be building a new tool with this new shop.
We hope to know more by the end of next week and will be sure to update all of you when we have more concrete information for what is happening next. This second shop that we are consulting with ensured us that this problem is solvable, it is just a matter of time and machining. We are 100% committed to getting you the Orfos Pro, and deeply value the trust you have shown us. We are laser-focused on getting you the quality product we promised at the fastest rate possible.
Quick Ship Blemished Option
From our recent shipment, we have a few blemished Red and Amber Pros. These are Orfos Pros that are 100% functional, but have some aesthetic blemishes, such as scratches or bubbles. If you are interested in this option, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, since we also have blemished Amber and very few blemished White, if you would like to switch your order from a White Pro to an Amber Pro to take advantage of this option, that is completely fine!
Again, we are doing everything we can to make sure you get high quality Orfos Pros for your adventures. We believe we will have more information to share with all of you at the end of next week. We are hoping that a quicker tooling modification will solve the problem rather than a complete redesign of the tool.
More than ever, we want to sincerely say, thank you for your continued support of Orfos as we continue working to see this project fulfilled.
The Orfos Team